Molo Oil History
Molo Companies can be traced back to 1870 when Bart Linehan, a native Dubuquer owned and operated a transfer company
William Molo came from New York
in 1884, he was employed as a manager at A.Y. McDonald Mfg. Co.
and later bought out Morrison Brothers Plumbing and Heating Division
whereupon he operated his business at 472 Main St. (see photo).
He married Mary Linehan, Bart's younger sister.
Bart and William combined their
businesses. Linehan & Molo started selling coal from teams
of horses, it wasn't long before trucks took over.
In 1926, Linehan & Molo moved to a new location on 5th St. In 1927, Molo Oil Company was formed, to sell petroleum products.
In 1948, Harold Molo became President
of Molo Companies. In 1951, his son, Robert joined the family
business. Robert's major interests were directed toward the sand
and gravel and oil businesses. Molo Oil began supplying fuel
oil to home owners and gasoline to 22 area service stations in
1968, thus beginning an unprecedented growth that continues today.
In 1970, Harold Molo passed away, leaving the presidency of the Molo Companies to Robert. During the decade, the Company expanded further into Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin.
The 80's was an era of growth
and change for the Molo Companies, with the help of Mark Molo,
Bob's son, who became Vice President. It was also the beginning
of the Big 10 Mart's - convenience stores developed, and owned
by Molo Oil Co.
In 1998, Robert Molo passed away, Mark Molo became the President of the Molo Companies and today continues the legacy of service and growth that began over 125 years before.